This month our presenter is Jacob Golden. Jacob has been a SQL Server DBA since 2002 and has worked in consulting/contracting roles for most of his career. He has expert level experience with SQL Server, Azure SQL Cloud services, and HA/DR planning. He also has a great deal of experience with performance tuning, production troubleshooting, proactive maintenance concepts, T-SQL development and project management.
Abstract: Performance Tuning the Database Layer
Understanding SQL Server performance can feel overwhelming. Is it the CPU, the storage, my code? We will walk through some high level concepts that will give you the tools to get better throughput to your applications.
- Types of indexes, what they do and why you care
- How many are too many?
- Do duplicate index hurt?
- Operators & Expressions
- INNER, OUTER, FULL, CROSS APPLY, OUTER APPLY, PIVOT
- EXPECT & INTERSECT
- UNION & UNION ALL
- CASE Statements
- OFFSET FETCH, NEXT
- What are stored procedures and why should I use them?
- What are estimated and actual execution plans?
- How do I run one?
- What permissions are needed?
- Does the version of SQL Server really matter? (Hint: The answer is yes!)
=== MEETING DETAILS ===
We meet every second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm CDT.
To join our meeting, please use the following link and phone number or use your computer’s speakers with audio:
- Join by phone+1-510-338-9438 USA TollAccess code: 621 567 014